Thursday, June 09, 2005

What I'd be doing right now if I was 17 again....

It's amazing how getting older makes you realize how much easier your life was when you were in high school. I realized this as I was slogging through downtown traffic at 5:45 the other day, when it was 90 degrees out, and I had been shackled to a desk for most of the afternoon.

I remember when I was in high school, specifically after my senior year. That summer, I was still living at home (obviously), had a car, and lived 10 minutes from the beach. Between that, and managing to structure two jobs around my afternoons at said beach, and I had it made, to say the least. The two jobs at the time you may ask? Working for my father doing deliveries and working as a beer vendor at the minor league stadium in the previously mentioned beautiful town of Erie, PA. This was without a doubt the best job I've ever had (beer vending, not working for my father), and I'll gladly go into more detail about it at another time, I suppose.

Anyway, I was thinking about it, and I realized that life was much better when my typical summer day went something like this:


7:00 am Have my mother wake me up to tell me it was time to drive to my father's office. Curse my mother under my breath for waking me up that early during summer break. Hell yes it was her fault I was out till 1 am the night before.

8:00 am Arrive at my father's place of business. Curse him for being wide awake and going 100 miles per hour at 8 in the morning

8am-12pm Perform miscellaneous duties for my father, most of which included delivering cases to dentists, cleaning up around his office, and other menial duties. Primarily, I would cruise around Erie, windows down in the delivery car, listening to Pearl Jam, 311, Weezer, and the like on the delivery cars' tape deck

12:15 pm Pester my father that it was time for me to leave until he would get fed up and throw me out of the office. Have my father curse me and my terrible work ethic, then head for the beach.

1:00 pm Arrive at the beach, spend several hours playing volleyball, talking to friends, and pretending that I'm cool.

4:30 pm Head home for a free dinner, shower, etc. If it's a game night, head to the game to work another relatively easy job, of which I spent most of the time talking to friends and catering to the needs of drunks (funny how the two put together is my social life now)

If that's not an easy day, I don't know what is.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gibby, you were a vendor for the Seawolves! You get cooler and cooler everyday. But the Jamestown Jammers, come on, that was the team to beat in the NY/Penn League.

Anonymous said...

Those were the best days! I had a job at store in the mall, and I told them I couldn't work any weekends. I usually only worked like 12 hours a week, if that. Pool time and friends were way more important!