Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Beautiful Destin, Florida

I heard a great story on the radio this morning. Apparently, over Memorial Day Weekend, in the wonderful Gulf Coast town of Destin, FL, a homeless man set up a chair in front of a public parking lot, made himself a sign, and started charging everyone 5$ to park there. By the time the cops caught up with him, he was up 275$, which is quite a bit to me, let alone to a homeless guy.

I bring this up only b/c I realize that after hearing the words "Destin, Florida" that I could totally use a vacation. That, and for anyone looking to go on vacation, I fully advocate Destin, FL as a vacation destination. That is if you don't mind driving through the entire state of Alabama on the way down. That part is not so good. To put it in perspective, when we were driving back through Alabama on the way back up, the soundtrack for the entire 6 hours could have been the Sanford and Son theme song. Really, I've never seen so many pickup trucks packed full with piles and piles of assorted crap. They were like traveling garage sales.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a Destin, FL t-shirt from like 1993 so I'm in.

Anonymous said...

That happened to me in Cincinnati. I went to park and some shady guy came up to me and said $5. I, of course, paid him and then realized what had happened the moment he ran away after I handed over the cash. Dammit...that was a smart move by that guy!

Gordon said...

The moral here: Homeless people are quite crafty.....you would be too if you had to make a bed out of newspapers.....