Friday, June 03, 2005

Books? What are Those?

Yay, I got tagged to talk about books by Kara. Since we all know how much I love to read,
I can't promise that this is going to be any good, or carry any amount of depth. Hell, let's see what I can do

What is the total number of books I have owned?

What? I have no idea, probably a lot if you count text books from college and things like that. My parents own way more books than I do, or at least they did until they purged them before their last move. I would estimate that between all my old childhood books, text books, and the occassional book that I've picked up for some reason or another, I probably own 100-150 books or so. I guess I never really thought about it.

Last Book I Bought:

Sadly, the last book I bought was a text book for my Global Marketing MBA class. I can't say that I buy a lot of books to read for pleasure, I usually content myself with getting books at the library (i know, what am I? Homeless?) or borrowing them from friends.

Last Book I Read:

A Fistfull of Rain by Greg Rucka. He's a fiction writer, mostly mystery/thriller type books. Those have always been my favorite type of thing to read. It's about a guitarist in a fictional rock band that has just hit the big time, who's having major alcohol problems, massive family issues, and oh right, somebody is stalking her. Pretty interesting stuff. I highly reccommend any of his books.

5 Books that Mean A Lot to Me

1) Charlie and The Chocolate Factory: This was one of the first books that I read, on my own, from cover to cover. I'm sure I'll see the movie based on it that's coming out this summer, but I don't think any film could ever do this goofy book justice.

2) Charlotte's Web: The absolute first book that I read from cover to cover, and for some reason, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think if you lived in the suburbs, and went to public schools, it was pretty much a sure thing you were reading this.

3) To Kill A Mockingbird: The first book of my young adult life that I can remember reading, adn probably the only book after the 7th grade that I was required to read that I actually did so without the aid of Cliff's Notes or anything like that. An absolutely deep, and amazing piece of writing.

4) False Start: This is the book that was written last year about the Cleveland Browns, and everything that has gone wrong or been done wrong involving the franchise since they came back into the league in 1999.

5) The Iowa Baseball Confederacy: Just a totally random fictional baseball book that takes place back and forth between present time and the early 1900's. For some reason I remember reading it one summer while I was in college. It's by the same guy that wrote the book that became Field of Dreams, believe it or not. It's just one of those well written things that makes you think.....

3 comments:

bevy said...

I also go to the library for books - imagine that! It's like Seinfeld said, once you've read it, what do you really need the book for after that? (That's not verbatim, of course.)

Sarah said...

Gordo, you can read?????

Just kidding, buddy. Go to D's place-Steph made them create a "reading corner".

Kara0303 said...

Nice job out of you on that tag! You really rallied on that one...much better then me! I couldn't even think of 5 books that meant anything to me. How sad!