Thursday, May 12, 2005

Say Goodbye While You Can

According to the Death Clock, I'm only going to be here until October 15th 2035. That's actually not too bad, considering that I put in that I'm a pessismist. Actually, that's not too bad at all, because I always said that I wanted to check out long before I got to the point where I would have to have others care for me or be unable to do certain things, like drive myself places and be able to function as a reasonably contributing member of society. (I know, because I contribute so much now)

It's odd though to play around with this, espeically because death isn't something that you should really play around with. I guess I became aware of this about a year ago when my mother pulled me aside during some random visit home and started pointing out where things like the keys to the safe deposit box, the wills, and the retirement account information, were in case "something every happened". Now mind you, neither of my parents have hit their 60th birthday yet, are in great health, and take very good care of themselves. They don't smoke, drink rarely (if at all) and exercise almost daily. Hell, they're going to outlive me at the rate that they're going. Nevertheless, it was completely unnerving. I understand that my mothers a tremendously organized person, and wants to make sure I'm aware of how to handle things, but confronting my parents mortality isn't something that I'm signing up for. I felt like such a child reacting like that, but frankly, if something did happen, I don't think I'd deal that well. However, mom, in response to the fact that you think I must know what I would do, I do have a plan should, God forbid, anything happen:

1) Get a lawyer, a really good one, to handle the affairs. I don't posses the patience, nor the fortitude to go through every bit of personal information on you two, at least not at this point in my life.

2) Get the Corvette. I know there are a lot of thigns that will need to be dealt with, but I really really love that car. (is that shallow? hey, they bought it, not me)

Two steps is enough for now. I like simplicity.

1 comment:

bevy said...

Wow, you'll die two days after my 57th birthday.

And that's nice your mom shared all that important info with you, 'cause my parents have yet to tell me crap about their mutual funds, stocks, whatever else they got going on. Actually all my mom has ever said is if she goes I get her cookware 'cause she doesn't want some other woman using her stuff. Nice. Furthermore, she said I wouldn't get any money any way, 'cause I'm the only girl and therefore my husband should provide for me. WTF? What kind of thinking is that?