Monday, May 16, 2005

Is it Nap Time Yet??

Again, why do I abuse myself on the weekends, and then complain about it on Monday mornings? I do it to myself, which should thereby eliminate any right of mine to complain about it.

That being said, really it wasn't that eventful of a weekend. Saturday was interesting, I worked till 2, then played our flag football game, which was actually played in a light monsoon, also known as a complete friggin downpour. We did win though, bringing us up to 3-2, which is some kind of a record for us. Then, Satruday night we did a "pub crawl" which, for those of you that don't know, involves a lot of drinking, and a lot of walking. I was a fan of the drinking, not so much of the walking. There's really no worse feeling that having to walk a mile and a half back to your house, in the middle of the night, with the impending feeling of a hangover setting in. Good times. The fact that I'm complaining about it, and still a bit hungover means that I'm never doing one again. Until next summer.

Oh, and the oddest thing happened on Friday. Actually, it was a prime example of why the elderly need to be taken far far away from where they could ever operate a motor vehicle. So I'm at a car wash, one of those self washing places where you put the quarters in. I'm pulling out, looking to take a right onto a busy road, with a stop light about 100 yards away. Now, right next to this car wash, also to the right, is a gas station, with an entrance about 15 feet from the exit of the carwash. I'm waiting, and there is a red light at said stop light, so traffic is backing up. An old woman in a Oldsmobile (is there more of an old person car?) pulls up just past the exit to the car wash. There's about 20 feet between her and the truck in front of her, and also, a clear shot into the gas station. The car behind her had given me room so I could pull out.

Now, at this point, she has several options:
1) She can pull up, closing the gap b/w her and the truck to maybe 10 feet, and let me out so I'm not half in the lane and half in the lot.
2) She can turn into the gas station, again, giving me room to pull out, so I'm not half in and half out....
3) She could do not a damn thing, and leave me stuck like that...

Keep in mind, it was my deicision to pull out of the lot, and I was moderately okay being stuck there like that for a minute while I waited for the light to change, but she could have done 3 things, and 2 of them would have been intelligent. She of course chose the 3rd.

It gets better. After refusing to turn, or pull up, waiting for the truck in front of her, (20 FEET IN FRONT OF HER) she then procedes to finally go, and then TURNS INTO THE GAS STATION, which she could have done the entire time we were sitting there. Oh, and she didn't even signal, so I almost plowed into her back end. Honestly, had it not been a socially repulsive choice, I would have followed her into the gas station and set her car on fire.

2 comments:

bevy said...

Sometimes I feel like your the boy version of me. Always an interesting read...

Kara0303 said...

Again, probably my grandmother. Same one you got behind the other morning on your way to work driving slow. Sorry about that. I've tried to talk to her about the driving thing, but you know how old people are! Oh, but she drives a Lincoln Towncar - so I guess you CAN find a car more perfect, or equally as perfect as an Oldsmobile, for an old person.