Thursday, May 05, 2005

Regrets? I've Had a Few (Request 2)

Today, I'm going to cover Kara's request about bad dates and bad relationships. Some of you may have heard this story before. Hell, I bet a few of you know it by heart. But it's a fun one, so we'll give it a whirl.

Senior year of college (aka 2000-01) I was, like most of my friends, terminally single, which, during your last year of college is truly the ideal way to be, if you ask me. Nevertheless, I did do some dating here and there, but nothing too serious.

In the fall, there was a girl that I had had many classes with and had several mutual friends with. We had kind of flirted with dating a couple years before, but having significant others kind of interfered with that. Nevertheless, we started "seeing each other", which for the most part entailed going to happy hour together, sitting on the porch drinking and listening to Dave, and meeting up after the bar. Good times. Interestingly enough, before we started dating, there was a guy that she was seeing previously. Of course, she communicated to me that that whole situation was over, because she wasn't that person. Now mind you, being that I went to a small school etc, I heard rumors that she was lying, that there were still things going on between them and so forth. However, I, being the trusting person that I am, just kind of let it go.

Then it happened. One night she was supposed to meet me out, but didn't. No big deal, I figured she had fallen asleep. I called, her roomate said she wasn't there. At that point, I knew. I knew the other guys # b/c his roomate was and still is a friend of mine. At this point, I decided a phone call wasn't enough (granted I was hammered) so I went to that dorm, and FROM THE CALLBOX, called the room, got my friend, and then asked for the girl. He paused, realized that I knew, and put her on the phone. The conversation went a bit like this:


Me: "Hey, ____, what're you doing up there?"
Her: "Gordon, what are you doing here, it's 2 am?"
Me: "I'm aware of that, hence me wondering why you are here when it's 2 AM."
Her: "This isn't a good time, I'm trying to get some sleep"
Me: "Really? I thought it would be a good time, I mean, I'm wide awake. Why don't you come down and we'll chat...bring your friend."
Her "Can we talk about this later?"
Me: "Absolutely not. Don't even waste my time" Click.

And people wonder why it takes a long time for me to trust women.

On a completely unrelated note: I got a little dose of karma last night when I was taking my tax return checks to the bank. It came in the form of a 3 inch long screw in my right rear tire. At 7pm. That meant I had to scramble to change it, find a tire place that was open, and pay the 20$ to get it plugged. Good times.

1 comment:

Kara0303 said...

Bless your heart! But good for you! I love it that you had the courage (even if it was liquid courage) to call her out on it in the middle of the night! That's a GREAT story! Not great that you got cheated on, but great for standing up for yourself! Just as you said, what goes around comes around. For you, it was a little screw in your tire - a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. For her, I'm sure she just got screwed by several different guys by now...and well deserving.