Thursday, April 21, 2005

Needles and lightheadedness

This is so definitely not what you think, but it sure made a nice sounding heroin addict-style title, didn't it?

Sometimes (rarely lately) I find my job to be almost tolerable. Granted those moments usually coincide with me doing everything but my job for the better part of the day. In this case, I have the Red Cross Bloodmobile to thank.

***Caution*** Random getting-up-on-my-soapbox moment here***

I know a lot of people don't donate blood for a variety of reasons, the fear of needles being the most prevelant. However, let me be the first to tell you that I'm very much not a fan of the needle, especially large ones designed to make me bleed....heavily. That being the case, as you may or may not know, the Red Cross has some blood shortages, primarily because donated blood has only a limited shelf life. Therefore, right now, surgeries and the like are being put off because of a lack of blood for transfusions. The message: If you're able to donate, please do.


****Random getting-up-on-my-soapbox moment over****

Today, though, was not my best donation experience. For one, the wait was ridiculous, not that I minded so much being away from work, but I had nothing to read, which left me making small talk. Lame. Then, once seated, I gave the volunteer my left arm, due to the fact that I'm right handed, and it is imperative that I do no damage to my right arm in order to fully participate in our flag-football league. However, after much prodding with the needle (which is still big) and digging around with it under my skin, there was no vein to be found. Mind you, this lasted at least 5-7 minutes. She then yanked it out, and informed me that she could try my right arm if I would like, and of course, I said sure, because I wasn't about to go through all that and not give any damn blood. Fortunately, my good arm came through, and I was able to donate, even managing to offend a couple people by saying "well since you stabbed me two times, do I get two juice boxes?"

There is an unfortunate side effect here. Now I have needle marks, bruises, and remains of marker on both arms where the volunteer tried to line my vein up. This gives me the appearance of having done heroin plungers with a toddler. Awesome. Also, the Red Cross did not have any vanilla sandwich cookie things with them at the snack-and-juice table, which basically killed my day, because I was really looking forward to some vanilla sandwich cookies and apple juice once I was done. What am I? Seven years old?? Seriously. cookies and fucking juice. Nice work.

3 comments:

bevy said...

I get blood drawn from me pretty often and once they made the same mistake of not being able to find the vein, but they kept the needle in fishing around for it. They didn't find it and I was left with a bruise. Let me tell you, it was real attractive.

Sarah said...

The best part of giving blood is the cookies and juice. Oh and the saving of lives and stuff.

The first time I gave blood I told them to do it from my left arm, too, because my right arm is my pitching arm (lame), and it took them three attempts to find my vein. Finally it worked, and then all of a sudden towards the end, it stopped. Like my arm was just like-okay I'm done. No more. And they only had those 3 vials that they have to fill up to do the tests on, and they were like, "If we can't get those 3 vials we have to throw your blood away." So I let them move over to my other arm. It took them a good 10 minutes of digging by 3 separate people until they finally got it. For a week afterward I looked like I had been beaten up.

The same thing happened when I got my surgery. It took 2 people 4 tries to put in my IV, and I again left the hospital with black inner arms. It was so hot.

Kara0303 said...

I personally prefer the Nutter Butters after I give blood. But that's just me.