Friday, January 06, 2006

By the way, I'm rooting for the Bengals......

I almost forgot all about this....

So the Sports Guy is picking the Bengals to beat the Steelers, and he's usually pretty dead on about this kind of thing, especially the playoffs. You can read why he thinks Cincy will win here.

I bring this up for a reason. Somebody asked me the other day "Do you hate the Steelers' more now since M was a huge Steelers' fan and she pretty much killed you?"

I had to think about that for a minute.

See, I'm a Browns fan, so obviously, I've always hated them. When I was dating her, we put a pretty good lid on our hatred for each others teams. Us getting our asses handed to us on a regular basis, well that helped her obviously.

Then I did some thinking about it, and kind of analyzed it, and realized that she really parrallels alot about the Steelers, and their fans....

1) Steelers fans are incredibly smug for a group of people who haven't accomplished anything in 25 years. For example, M was born in August of 1980, 7 months after the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. They've been back since, but played most of that game with their hands wrapped around their own necks. Let's be realistic about this, if they were a baseball team, they'd be the Atlanta Braves, and even they've won a World Series.

2) Most of them possess poor decision making skills. This again reflects the team, and the fans. Really, has anyone ever watched them against a compentant playoff opponent? They spend most of the time looking like they just came out of a coma. Did anyone watch the Ben Roethlisberger meltdown last year? They won their one game in spite of him, and then New England dismantled him. The parallel? M broke up with me for some guy who showed up for their company Christmas party looking like he was dressed for the 9th grade dance. My 9th grade dance. That was 10 years ago, if you're counting, and I swear he stole a shirt out of my closet from that era. That's like saying "Thanks for offering me this nice, clean Nissan Maxima, but the old guy down the street said I could have his rusted out 10 speed, I figure that should work just fine"

3) One word: Overrated. Really, Hines Ward? You're good, you play hard, and you even make some plays. But holding out for T.O or Randy Moss money? Guess what, you aren't even the best receiver in your own division. Let me introduce you to Chad Johnson. Oh, and Braylon will probably be passing you up in about 2 years, barring his health.
Summarily, Steelers fans overrate themselves. Here's a hint, showing up drunk off Iron City Beer, screaming racial slurs, and threatening to sexually assault female Browns fans doesn't make you the best fans in the league. It makes you drunken white trash.

No comments: