Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Flying, and The Pain of...

Just a quick story that I think most of you that have come to know me will appreciate.

The flight home from Vegas can be summed up in one word: Exhausting.

The fact that our flight out was at 11:20, thus requiring us to be at the airport by 9:45 was rough enough. Granted, I can probably take some of my own blame for that by showing up drunk at our hotel at about 5:00 am, thus allowing myself *maybe* 3 hours of sleep, if you want to call it that.

Take that, along with the 12 hours or so of combined sleep for the week, and put THAT on a plane. Not good times. That's not the best part.

So, prior to the flight, we're standing at our gate, and I see more than a few 14-16 year old kids running around. You know, the kids that are at that stage where they still have an s-load of energy, but they're not really afraid of adults anymore, and they really don't care about bothering anyone. Now when I realize that there are a few, I look around, and there are FIFTY OF THEM. Even better, they were in Vegas as part of a youth Jesus-crusade thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see that the kids are into their faith, and not drugs and breaking into my car and crap.

HOWEVER, singing their praise songs as the plane lifts off? Awful. Really, I thought I was going to committ suicide. All I wanted was to drink my water, pass out, and forget that I had 4 hours of flying. Yeah, not even close. Compound this with the kid that was sitting behind me, consistently kicking my seat for most of the flight, while I was trying to sleep, and you had one unhappy camper/flyer. Reminding yourself that I have an insanely short fuse, especially when I'm tired, and this is a bad situation.

Really, is there any worse feeling in the world than being violently hung over, coming back from a trip of total debauchery, and having to suppress the urge to turn around and verbally berate some little punk, because you know you're going to get the worst of it, because really, whose side is God going to be on on this one? Not mine, I'll tell you that much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rather enjoyed the Vegas airport that morning. I got to sing a song over the loudspeaker to the fine folks at gates 21-23. Like a dream come true.