Friday, December 01, 2006

You know, In Case you Were Wondering

Yes, things got worse yesterday.

Remember when I was kind of annoyed about being caught outside with no shoes and no jacket in a freezing downpoor? So, what could have possibly gone wrong after that? I turned my paper in, sat through a dull class, and then what?

I got locked out.

No, not "forgot my keys" locked out. I have a door that only locks from the inside now. The key for the dead bolt won't catching when using it from the outside. So, I'll be doing a little home repair today. Super.
So, at 10PM last night, I'm frozen, soaked, and hungry, and standing inches from my kitchen. WITH NO WAY TO GET IN!
And of course, the only other way into my house is to get on my deck and pop in through a window in the living room. Problem is, I'm on the second floor, and my landlord is never home anymore to let me come up the front stairs of the house.

Fortunately, Drew and Diane were kind enough to give me a place to stay. Drew had one of my old contact cases and they gave me a tooth brush. (Incidently, you guys are right, those sheets ARE amazing)
So, not knowing when my landlord will be home, I got up this morning, went to Home Depot, strapped a 20 foot aluminum ladder to the roof of the Maxima, and brought it home. Climbed it, barefoot, in the rain, with noone to hold the ladder, and got onto my deck, and into the house.
But, now that I'm showered, at least I feel a little bit better. Really, who else could this happen to? Seriously.

On another, unrelated note, and this doesn't apply to anyone specific I don't think, but I'm learning that a true measure of someone's friendship is their willingness to meet you half way in an argument. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in "I was right" or "I know how I meant to say something" that we could care less for the impact of our words on the reciever. Sometimes, we want so badly to be right, or to be the stubborn one, that we could care less for the consequences, and we lose sight of the big picture. And sometimes, we get so mad at a person for something they said, that even when they say they're sorry, and they've done their part to make it right, we still can't be bothered, b/c we're still too self-important. And another thought, friendships aren't measured by the things you've done in the past, they're better gauged by how you treat someone in the present.

Eh, that's enough. I need to eat and go play Bob Villa....super.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

1. I'll tell you who else it could happen to: me. As in I, too, locked myself out of my house last night. At 1:15am. And I had to go to work the next day. You'll be seeing this story soon on my blog.

2. Re: friendship paragraph - what? You are growing up, Gordo! I'm so proud. Seriously though, this: "And sometimes, we get so mad at a person for something they said, that even when they say they're sorry, and they've done their part to make it right, we still can't be bothered, b/c we're still too self-important." hit the nail right on the head for me right now with a certain someone.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome for letting you stay. Personally, I wanted you to sleep outside in the rain, but Drew forced me to let you in :) Beech sheets rule!