Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Countdown Begins

Days Until I'm Unemployed: 106 (July 14th)

Well, the official countdown starts today. My department is shutting down, and those of us that don't choose to, or aren't able to, find other opportunities with the company are out.

I'll be unemployed. Out of work. A virtual vagabond.

I have 2 bachelors degrees, and I almost have my masters. I'm reasonably intelligent, talented, and relatively motivated.

And now? I'm screwed.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't have a good plan. I've said I can do this, or that, or the other thing, but I don't know for sure what I'm going to do. I'll get a severance, and there's always unemployment, and I'm sure I can find a job if I need to.

But here's the thing: I've spent the better part of the last 4-5 years doing stuff I don't like. I want to do something I enjoy, or at least, find challenging next. However, I'm scared that I won't find something I like, or won't be able to get the job I want.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What kind of job would you like to do? What would it entail?

Gordon said...

That's a good question actually. That's always been part of my problem is that I don't really know what I want to do. I'd like to move away from the really finance related stuff and do something more in the PR or corporate training related realm. Something where I can use my speaking and writing skills.

bevy said...

Hey, a summer vacation may be nice. It was for me. Well, parts of it.