Wednesday, September 07, 2005

One More Thing That's Wrong With Most People

Let me start this post by stating one very simple, obvious thing. I'm lazy. Like really lazy. And I wouldn't ever be accused as someone who "enjoys working". When the clock hits 5:59 here in my office, I'm locking up my desk and shutting down my computer and doing the Office Space style "watching it save my files at the speed of a fat man in the last half of a marathon, praying that no-one throws anything on my desk"

However, that also has something to do with the fact that I work in an office, not in a service industry. I can get away with shutting it down right at closing time.

Is this going anywhere? Maybe.

Bottom line. My dry cleaner pissed me off the other night.

Now, this is nothing new, as the dry cleaner, (all dry cleaners) annoy me. The concept of dry cleaning is annoying to me anyways, as I don't like having to pay for a process I don't understand, which 30-40% of the time results in my clothing coming back different than when I dropped it off. Losing buttons, shrinkage, etc? This shouldn't happen, but it does happen at more than a couple of the drycleaners I have tried.
You don't go to a car wash and come out with out a tire, do you? So how does the dry cleaner manage these things?

Back to my original point. I walk into the dry cleaner at 8:50 the other night. They close at 9. That means, customers can't go in there after 9 and drop off and pick up. At least that's what it means in my world. I would think that this is what it means to EVERY RATIONAL ADULT IN THE FREE WORLD.
However, to the middle-aged, GED acheiving wretch behind the counter, it apparently meant that she was walking out the door as soon as that clock ticked to 9pm, regardless of whether or not there was still things to do. I don't think she got it.
I say this because she said to me, and I quote "Could you bring your stuff in a little earlier if you're going to be dropping it off from now on? We close in a few minutes"

I wanted to light this girl on fire. Really? No kidding you close in a few minutes, why do you think I showed up now? This is besides the fact that I dropped of 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants.
Not like I just showed up with my whole friggin wardrobe, is it?
I honestly thought about just strangling her with the pants, but then I probably would have stained them, and they would have charged me more.

7 comments:

bevy said...

Sorry, I need more details before I can pass judgement. Were you requesting these items be ready by the next morning?

Gordon said...

No. Standard turn around time, 2 days

bevy said...

Ok, then you were right and she was wrong. Case closed.

Anonymous said...

where are you gordo?

bevy said...

Yeah, dude, are you ok?

Unknown said...

do you not love us anymore?

Gordon said...

There's love, there just hasn't been much in the way of time lately....I'm working on hacking out some time tonight to do a post....