Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tuned In

Well, since I haven't posted in a while, and needed some inspiration, I'm stealing from Sarah and doin a music post of my own. Let's face it, it's been a REALLY long time since I've posted anything, even longer since I did a music related post, and I was overdue for both.

Besides, it's been a rough few weeks around these here parts, which usually leads to me drowning my sorrows in music (and Captain Morgan. and Dortmunder. And...well you get the idea).

I don't have time to get all HTML link crazy and imbed those, so if you want to check out these bands, you'll have to dig them up the old fashioned way, by downloading them illegally. (Just kidding RIAA! Kids, go to iTunes, stealing is bad! Don't arrest me!)

Anyway, here's some of the stuff that's been in heavy rotation on my iPod:

What Made Milwuakee Famous: Blood, Sweat, and Fears--- Apparently these guys have been cool before this year, as this is off of their second album. Heck, they played on ACL as part of a episode with Franz Ferdinand back in '05. How much more indie rock cred do you need? Frankly, this entire CD is very good. It's very straight ahead modern rock n' roll, and the fact that I like it is probaby some indication that I'm getting old, even if it is dubbed "indie rock" There's another really good song on this album called The Other Side at the end of the disc.

Panic at The Disco: Mad as Rabbits--- I was literally almost drooling on myself when I downloaded this album. No really, I had to get a cavity refilled a couple of weeks ago, and they had to numb my mouth, so I was spitting a lot when I talked. And, since I was waiting around to be allowed to eat anything, b/c the doctor was afriad I'd bite my tongue off, I remember I needed this one. This is actually the last song on the album, and the one that's probably most like some of the stuff off the first album. Honestly though, if you buy this one expecting all the angry, angsty punk of the first one, you'll be disappointed, and then happily surprised, b/c it's just a good song. The whole album is way more upbeat and melodic than the first.

Jack Johnson: Sleep Through the Static--- Hey, it's my inner hippie coming through. Again, this album is spectacular, but this song especially works for me. When I first heard Jack was "plugging in" for his this album, I got a little nervious, I'll admit. However, it's a very well constructed song, and besides, it really is just about blasting the Bush administration, and the war etc....How can you not be on board with that these days?

Kimya Dawson: Chemistry--- Okay, I know, now I really should stop showering and eschew plastic bags at the grocery store, right? I got hooked on her after I saw Juno (she did most of the soundtrack, as if you didn't know that). This is my fav song of hers right now. Granted, that seems to change about every 2 weeks for me, but still. The music is so simple, and the lyrics aren't much more complex, but they just fit together.

My Chemical Romance: I Never Told You What I Do for a Living--- Yeah, I just went from back to back hippie tree hugger songs to a track about murder. It's nice how I keep you guys on your toes like that right? No, this is just a good and angry song, which may or may not be healthy. Actually, I usually have to listen to this song right after I listen to this next one......

Damien Rice: Volcano--- You know what's nice? When your g/f makes you a mix CD for your birthday, and then decides a week later she's not going to be your g/f anymore. Listen, I can make my own break up mixes, thank you very much. If John Cusak can handle it, I sure as heck can. Great, now I have a disc with a bunch of songs I like but can't listen to without a six pack within reach. Thanks.

Jack's Mannequin: Last Straw--- I agree with Sarah that the new Jack's Mannequin CD can't come out soon enough, though I'm lamenting that it will do well and quite possibly mean the end all of Something Corporate. Either way, the first time I heard this song was when we went to see Jack's last year, and then I tracked it down like 8 minutes after I got home. It's actually another break-up type song, mixed with a cheapie at the president. Nice combo.

Fall Out Boy: Beat It--- What's better than Michael Jackson? Punk bands covering Michael Jackson. I saw the video for this the other day, and thought two things:

1) They still make videos, really? Who shows these? Where does MTV have room in its schedule between reruns of "The Hills", "My Super Stuck-Up Sixteen", and "I'll Do ANYTHING to be on television. I mean, ANY. THING." (also known as seasons 6-20 of the Real World.)
and
2) If a video was an absolute classic, like say, anything Michael did in the early to mid-80s, then a band covering the song shouldn't even bother trying to make a video. It just makes the whole thing look silly. Rappers can get away with it b/c all they do is steal music and beats from each other, but for rock/pop music? Bad idea.

Regardless, it's a nice take on the song, and more upbeat than half of what I just mentioned up here. I'm curious if any of you guys are listening to any of this stuff....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As standard practice for me, I know about three songs about both your and Sarah's lists (I totally love Silver Spoons Theme Song)...which means I am immediately downloading the Jack Johnson you suggested.

I like this new Democratic leaning Gordo. Keep up the good work.

-Steph

Anonymous said...

The Kills - Midnight Boom

For reals.

-Lo

Anonymous said...

I just realized that I misread your question. It was not, what are you guys listening to? It was, are you guys listening to any of this stuff? Answer: No.

-Lo

Anonymous said...

you need to make me a CD too (I asked Sarah to) :)

Diane